Oma's Sweet Roll Recipe
Here's my easy German Sweet Roll recipe, raisin buns, aka Rosinenbrötchen, that's an easy one to include among your holiday baking recipes.
Using a traditional method of making this yeast rolls recipe, you can also use the dough to make a fruit loaf.
Why not double the recipe and make a loaf and some rolls? Freeze some for later use.
If you decide to make the loaf, it can either be baked on a baking sheet or in a 12" X 4" loaf pan.
The instructions for the loaf are in the Hints section at the bottom of the recipe.
If you're a bread machine fan, you can just add the ingredients, minus the nuts, raisins, and lemon peel. Set the machine to 'dough' and add these remaining ingredients at the first 'signal'. Once the dough is done, remove and form it.
Oma's Sweet Roll Recipe
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup warm milk (110° F.)
- 1 1/2 packages active dry yeast (1 1/2 tsp)
- 2 1/2 cups flour, all-purpose
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cardamom (optional)
- 3/4 cup butter, melted, cooled slightly
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar (or 1/2 tsp vanilla)
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1/3 cup chopped candied lemon peel
- grated peel and juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 1/3 cups raisins
- Stir 1 tsp sugar into warm mild. Sprinkle with yeast. Let stand until frothy, about 5 minutes.
- Mix flour, salt, and cardamom in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, mix butter, sugar, and vanilla sugar (or vanilla).
- Stir yeast mixture and add to butter mixture. Stir.
- Pour butter/yeast mixture into flour mixture, stirring to make dough.
- Knead in almonds, candied peel, lemon peel and juice, and raisins.
- On floured surface, knead dough until smooth and elastic.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place about 40 minutes.
- Lightly knead risen dough.
- Break or cut off small pieces of dough and roll into balls. Depending on size, makes about 8 to 12.
- Place onto a greased baking sheet and flatten lightly. Cover and let stand in warm place, about 15 minutes.
- Brush with beaten egg yolk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in preheated 375° F. oven for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Cool on rack.
- To make a loaf,
after first rising, lightly knead risen dough. Place either on a
greased baking sheet or in a greased loaf pan. Cover and let stand in a
warm place about 30 minutes.Bake in a preheated 375° F. oven for about
45 to 50 minutes or until wooden skewer inserted in center comes out
clean. Cool on rack.
Although a bit time consuming, this is definitely worth making. It's traditional German Easter food - it's even fun for the kids to make the rolls from kneading the dough to forming the rolls.
Some more Bread Recipes ...
More German recipes ...
Take a look at Oma's eCookbooks ...
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe? Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count. It will give you an approximate calculation.
Get your FREE poster ... Herbs & Spices in the German Kitchen
by Subscribing to my FREE Newsletter ...
Just like Oma ~ Kaffeeklatsch*
*Kaffeeklatsch: /ˈkafeːˌklatsh / (noun) an informal gathering for coffee and chatting
Experience Germany: food, people, country, & RECIPES!
Top of Sweet Roll Recipe
Sweet Roll Recipe
Words to the Wise
"When arguing with your neighbor, don't betray another person's secret."
Proverbs 25:9 (NLT)