PAPRIKASH BEEF STROGANOFF
by Christine Horold
(Charlotte, NC, USA)
This is one of the comfort foods my mom used to make. I knew I had this recipe somewhere in my belongings and I just could not find it. I finally found it after 30 years deep down in one of my boxes where I kept my little things I brought to the US from Germany. So here it is:
PAPRIKASH BEEF STROGANOFF
Serves: 4 – 6
• 1 lb Beef (diced) – you can use stew beef
• 1 tbsp smoked paprika
• 1 tsp salt
• ½ tsp black pepper
• 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1 tbsp butter
• 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
• 8 oz white button mushrooms, sliced and diced
• 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
• 1¾ cups low-sodium beef broth
• 2 tbsp tomato paste
• 1 bay leaf
• ¼ cup plain yogurt, or sour cream
• Fresh, chopped parsley for garnish
1. In a medium bowl toss the cubed beef with the paprika, salt and pepper. Sprinkle the flour on top of the beef and toss to coat.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add the beef in a single layer and cook until golden brown on each side, tossing occasionally, about 5 minutes. Don’t worry if the beef is not cooked through, it will fully cook later on in the sauce. Scrape the beef onto a plate and set aside.
3. Add the butter to the pan, and stir in the onions and mushrooms. Sauté the mixture, stirring occasionally and scraping up the browned bits from the beef, until the onion is translucent and the onions and mushrooms are browned, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute, until fragrant.
4. Pour in about ¼ cup of the beef broth and deglaze the pan by scraping up any bits from the bottom. Stir in the tomato paste, whisking to combine. Add the rest of the beef broth and the bay leaf, stirring well.
5. Add the beef back into the skillet and simmer the mixture over medium-low to medium heat, until the beef is cooked through and the sauce thickens slightly, about 10-15 minutes. Stir in the yogurt or sour cream and cook for about 2-3 minutes longer. I used sour cream in mine. Let the mixture simmer for 2-3 minutes until thickened. Serve over mashed potatoes, egg noodles or rice and garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
Want nutritional information for a recipe?
Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count.
It will give you an approximate calculation.
* * * * *
Need help doing conversions between cups and grams or any such thing?
Use this site to give you all the different conversions for the different types of ingredients.