Hungarian Cucumber Salad
by Garry Brotschul
(Centereach, N.Y., USA)
(Hungarian Cucumber Salad)
Even better than the German Cucumber Salad, was my father's Hungarian Cucumber Salad. If you never had this, make this and it will become your favorite too!
- 6 cucumbers, peeled and sliced thinly on a box grater.
- Place in a large bowl and generously salt and set aside for 15 minutes, to draw out as much liquid as possible.
- Strain and squeeze dry. Taste. If too salty, rinse with water and squeeze dry again.
- Place in a clean bowl.
- Add 1 pint of sour cream (Axelrod brand is the thickest and best)
- Add 2 large cloves (or more) finely minced garlic. Mix well.
- Add salt (if needed) and pepper to taste. Add a few dashes of Paprika for color ( it will be a light pink to light coral, depending on your shakes!) Mix well.
The dressing, should drip off slowly, from the cucumber, when held up with a fork. If too thick (no drip), add a few splashes of white or cider vinegar, to loosen it up.
DON'T ADD TOO MUCH, BECAUSE THE CUCUMBERS WILL STILL RELEASE WATER AND YOU DON'T WANT SOUP!
Refrigerate for 30 minutes, so flavors can blend.
Eat chilled, or at room temperature! Flavor jellies and improves daily. Lasts for about 3-4 days...but only 5 minutes in our house!
Want nutritional information for a recipe?
Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count.
It will give you an approximate calculation.
* * * * *
Need help doing conversions between cups and grams or any such thing?
Use this site to give you all the different conversions for the different types of ingredients.