by Anke Perez
(San Antonio, TX)
Gebrannte Mandeln, Roasted Almonds are a treat sold at all the wonderful German Christmas Markets and are sold here in the US as well.
Unfortunately, they are quite expensive.
Making them at home on the stove, melting the sugar into a caramel, coating the nuts with it and possibly setting off the fire alarm, if I misjudged the timing, was something I avoided at all costs.
A few years ago my Aunt in Germany sent me this easy recipe and I have been making them ever since. They taste just like the ones at the Weihnachtsmarkt. (Christmas Market).
They also make great gifts in a pretty tin. And they can be kept in a closed container for quite a long time, if they don’t get eaten fast.
Cinnamon Roasted Almonds
T = tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
1 lb (16 oz) almonds or pecans
1 egg white
1 T cold water
1 c white sugar
1 T cinnamon
1 t vanilla extract
1/2 t salt
Preheat oven to 250F. Yes, that low.
Line a baking pan with parchment.
Combine the sugar, cinnamon, vanille and salt and set aside.
1. In a very big bowl combine the egg white with the cold water and with a fork or whisk beat until frothy.
2. Stir in the nuts and mix until every nut is very well coaled. The sugar will not stick otherwise, the egg white acts as a glue.
3. Pour the sugar mix over the nuts and mix with the nuts until all the sugar adheres to the nuts all over.
4. Spread the coated nuts in a single layer on the parchment lined pan.
5. The TOTAL BAKING TIME IS 1 hr to 1-1/4 hrs.
5 a. EVERY 15. Min. pull the baking pan out of the oven and using 2 forks, GENTLY separate the nuts from each other. THIS STEP IS IMPORTANT OR THE NUTS WILL CLUMP TOGETHER. Take care not to scrape the sugar off the nuts..
6. When the sugar has baked onto the nuts and is no longer wet, 1 to 1-1/4 hrs. they are done.
7. Pull the pan out and let the nuts cool on the pan.
In a closed container they last 1 - 2 months.
ENJOY A GREAT TREAT.
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Your Best Recipe.
Leave a comment about this recipe or ask a question?
Pop right over to my private Facebook group, the Kaffeeklatschers. You'll find thousands of German foodies, all eager to help and to talk about all things German, especially these yummy foods.
Meet with us around Oma's table, pull up a chair, grab a coffee and a piece of Apfelstrudel, and enjoy the visit.
* * * * *
Words to the Wise
"When people do not accept divine guidance, they run wild. But whoever obeys the law is joyful."
Proverbs 29:18 (NLT)