Gebackener Karamel-Apfel Pfannkuchen (baked caramel-apple pancake)
by Anna Perez
(San Antonio, TX)
The recipe has been floating around in my family for a long time. It is ine of those recipes, that was made by adding ingredients, mix, cook and bake “until it is just right”... Whatever that may mean to an inexperienced cook. My grandmother and aunts knew what they were doing...I didn’t.
For all of us, that are suffering from the same panic, when seeing a recipe with just an ingredient list with ABSOLUTELY NO measurements, cooking times etc. whatsoever, I measured, scooped, (grumbled and cursed) and came up with measures and times that work for me.
But please, bear in mind, that the times may not be 100% the same, when you make it. Some adjustments may be necessary. I have divided the recipe and prep into parts, it seems easier.
When first reading the prep, it seems to be a ton of work, but it is really not bad.
This will feed 2 (very hungry) or 4 average people.
Serve with, powdered sugar, whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
T = table spoon
t = teaspoon
C = cup
PART 1 - Apple Mix
1 large Granny Smith apple (peeled, cored, quartered and thinly sliced)
1-1/2 t cinnamon
1/3 t nutmeg.
PART 2 - added later to the apples
1/4 c brown sugar (lightly packed)
2 T butter or margarine
PART 3 - Pancake batter - WET ingredients
1/2 c milk
1 T vanilla
Whisk all the wet ingredients together
PART 4 - Batter - DRY ingredients
1/2 c (all purpose) flour
1 t baking powder
1 t white) sugar
1/3 t salt
Mix the dry ingredients together and then add them to the wet ones.
Mix lightly, don’t over-mix, a few lumps in the batter are fine.
Set aside until needed.
Preheat oven to 375F, place baking rack in the middle of oven
GET COOKING (finally)
APPLE GLAZE, made on the stove
1. Put the apple slices into a 10” oven proof frying pan
2. Saute on MED LOW until the apples are slightly softened. 5-8 min. Pay attention or the spices will burn.
This is not the time to wander off or take a call. STAY PUT
3. Raise the heat to MED
4. Add brown sugar and Butter
5. Cook while stirring , until syrup and caramel forms 3-10 min. DARKER CARAMEL = DEEPER FLAVOR
6. Add the batter, all at once, to the middle of the pan
6, swirl the apples and caramel through the batter (use a spatula) to form ribbons.
DON’T FULLY COMBINE BATTER AND CARAMEL
7. Continue to cook until small bubbles form around the edges of the pan.
INTO THE OVEN (almost done)
8. Transfer the pan onto the middle rack of the oven
9. Bake for 12-15 min, until solid amd lightly golden.
10. Remove the pan from the oven
11. Invert a 12” plate over the pan and flip the pancake onto it.
Dust with powdered sugar
Serve as is, or with whipped cream, berries or ice cream.