by Ruth Lemoine
- 1 Duck
- 10 Broetchen or 1 bread loaf
- 2 cups of warm milk (not hot)
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Onion
- 1 Cup Parsley
- 3 Eggs
- 2 Tsp Butter
- Cut the bread into thin slices, sprinkle with 1 tsp salt.
Pour warm milk over and leave for 15 minutes.
- Cut the onion into small cubes and fry with the parsley in the melted butter.
- Add onions, parsley, pepper and eggs and knead with the soaked bread.
- Wash the duck with lukewarm water and dry inside and out well. Season well with salt and pepper inside and fill the dumpling dough loosely in the duck, do not make too full, the mass goes on.
- Pin up the open ends of duck with toothpicks and kitchen string. Leave the string long enough and tie the legs. Pin up the neck and tie the wings to the body. Rub the outside with salt and pepper.
- Place the duck breast side down on the rack, insert the drip pan underneath a rail. In the drip pan pour 2 cups of salt water.
- Set the oven to 285°F and roast the duck 2 hours. Flip it over and fry for another 1.5 hours. Increase the temperature to 380 and roast ready for 15-20 min or until brown.
- The duck must not be poured, it will be wonderfully juicy because of the salt water.
- The Rest of the bread dough is for Semmelknoedel dumplings. If the mass is too moist, yet incorporate breadcrumbs and let the dumplings draw for 20 minutes in salt water.
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Your Best Recipe.
Leave a comment about this recipe or ask a question?
Pop right over to my private Facebook group, the Kaffeeklatschers. You'll find thousands of German foodies, all eager to help and to talk about all things German, especially these yummy foods.
I pop in all the time as well, to chat and to answer questions.
Meet with us around Oma's table, pull up a chair, grab a coffee and a piece of Apfelstrudel, and enjoy the visit.
* * * * *
If you love hummus, then you’ll love this creamy hummus salad dressing recipe! It’s just like the real deal, but in liquid form so you can drizzle it all over your favorite greens ...
Go to the recipe
This recipe for creamy vegan mushroom soup is inspired in part by Oma's German recipe for cream of mushroom soup. It brings me back to my childhood eating this classic comfort food.
Go to the recipe
Words to the Wise
"When people do not accept divine guidance, they run wild. But whoever obeys the law is joyful."
Proverbs 29:18 (NLT)