Skor Bar Cookies – Oma's Skorschnitten (Chocolate Toffee Bark)
These Skor Bar cookies are so delicious, you'll want to make them often. German? Nope! Delicious? Yes! Quick? Yes!
These Skorschnitten are fun to make together with your little ones. And, they are a lovely addition to Lebkuchen and Vanillekipferl for your Christmas cookie platter.
- 40 saltine or soda crackers (just over 1 sleeve)
- 1 cup (227 g) butter
- 1 cup (200 g) brown sugar, packed
- 3 cups (510 g) chocolate chips, semi-sweet or dark
- 1 - 2 cups (100 - 200 g) sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a rimmed 11x17-inch baking sheet with foil or parchment paper and spray with baking spray.
- Cover baking sheet with one layer of soda crackers.
- In saucepan, melt butter and brown sugar, stirring constantly until it boils. Boil for 1 minute, continuing to stir.
- Pour mixture over crackers carefully (don’t burn yourself) and spread evenly.
- Bake 5 minutes until sugar mixture is bubbling.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over surface. Wait several minutes until chocolate softens and smooth evenly. If needed, return baking sheet to oven for a few minutes to help chocolate soften. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Cool completely. Either break or cut into pieces. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Let them come to room temperature before eating.
- Have leftover soda crackers? Use them for this fabulous Black Forest Dessert!
- As you cut or break into pieces, you may find that sometimes the "topping" separates from the "toffee" bottom. Don't worry. Both parts taste amazing.
- Be careful when working with the heated sugar/butter mixture. It's HOT!!!
- If you like the taste of salted caramel, then use salt-topped crackers. If not, use the unsalted ones.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com
11.26.2021 revision update