Southern German Potato Salad (no mayo) – Kartoffelsalat ohne Mayo
This warm German potato salad is among the easy German recipes sent in by one of our readers, Roswitha (Rose) Seemann. Her family comes from the southern part of Germany, near the French/Swiss border, and that's reflected in this recipe.
In southern Germany, the warm potato salad recipes like this one abound. In northern Germany, cold potato salads with mayo abound.
Makes 4 - 6 servings
- 6 medium potatoes
- 12 slices bacon
- 1½ cups chopped onions
- ⅔ cup plus 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1½ tablespoons brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Wash and cut into halves the potatoes.
- Cook for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain liquid from potatoes and dry by shaking pot over low heat. Peel and cut into ¼-inch slices.
- Meanwhile, dice and pan-broil bacon, reserving the bacon drippings.
- Put 6 tablespoons of the bacon drippings in a large saucepan. Add onions and cook until they are transparent, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cider vinegar, brown sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Heat mixture to boiling over low heat. Add diced cooked bacon and stir. Pour over the warm potato slices and mix lightly to coat evenly.
- Cover and set aside for about 10 to 15 minutes for the potatoes to absorb the vinegar dressing before serving.
- Makes a great accompaniment for German sausages or smoked pork chops.
- Use waxy potatoes such as red potatoes or Yukon Gold potatoes.
- Adding about ¼ teaspoon celery seeds is a nice variation
- Try the northern Germany potato salad with mayo and see how different that is.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com