Healthy Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe (Dairy-free!) – Pilzcremesuppe
This recipe for vegan cream of mushroom soup, aka vegane Pilzcremesuppe, is inspired in part by Oma Gerhild’s German recipe for cream of mushroom soup. It brings me back to my childhood and the wonderful memories of eating this classic comfort food.
Makes 4 - 6 servings
- 8 ounces (227 grams) white button or cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried or fresh thyme
- 4 cups water or veggie broth
- 1 - 1.5 cups raw cashews
- 1.5 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- freshly grated nutmeg
- Add chopped onion to a medium-size pot with enough water to cover the bottom. Cook over medium-high heat until onions are softened and translucent. Add a splash of water, when necessary, to keep veggies from sticking to the bottom.
- Add garlic and mushrooms. Cook until onions are completely soft and mushrooms are browned.
- Add seasonings and cook a minute or two longer.
- In a blender, add the water or veggie broth, cashews, salt, and half of the mushroom mixture. Blend until completely smooth.
- Transfer back to the pot with remaining mushroom mixture, stir and heat through. Adjust seasonings, if necessary.
- Garnish with freshly grated nutmeg to serve.
- You can use olive oil to sauté your veggies instead of cooking them in water.
- I prefer making this recipe with water instead of broth because it really lets the flavor of the mushrooms shine through.
- If you choose to use vegetable broth, you might want to start with less salt than the recipe calls for and adjust at the end, if necessary.
- If you're a mushroom lover, try it with other kinds of mushrooms, such as oyster or shitake mushrooms.
- If you do not have a high-powered blender, be sure to soak the cashews in water ahead of time for 5 to 8 hours. Alternately, you can boil them in a pot for 10 to 15 minutes. Simply drain and rinse the softened cashews and add them to the recipe.
- If you have Cashew Cream on hand, you can substitute for raw cashews. Add as little or as much as you like to reach desired consistency and taste.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com