Oma's Blumenkohl ~ How to Cook Cauliflower
This way how to cook cauliflower, aka Blumenkohl, is one of the easiest ways to make one of the traditional German vegetables. Topped with buttered bread crumbs, it's a great addition to almost any meal.
Makes 4 servings
- 1 cauliflower, about 2 pounds cut into florets
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 - 3 tablespoons butter
- ⅓ - ½ cup breadcrumbs
- To a large pot, add about 2 inches of water and salt. Bring to boil. Add cauliflower florets. Bring to boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook until fork-tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add bread crumbs and stir. Continue frying and stirring until the breadcrumbs are nicely browned. BE CAREFUL, it can quickly turn black. Remove them to a bowl immediately to stop the browning.
- Drain cauliflower when done.
- Serve cauliflower with browned breadcrumbs sprinkled on top.
- This goes really well with almost any German meat recipe, but especially with rouladen or schnitzel.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com
07.07.2021 revision update