Northern Germany's Best German Potato Salad Recipe ~ Kartoffelsalat
Learn how to make potato salad that tastes just like it does in northern Germany. This cold German potato salad, aka Kartoffelsalat, comes from my Mutti's handwritten cookbook. I've also simplified it in this easy version.
And yes, this one is German. In fact, the mayonnaise in this, tells me it's from the northern part of Germany. Southern Germany's salads rarely have mayo.
Makes 6 - 8 servings
- 3 - 4 lb potatoes, cooked and peeled
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup brine from dill pickles
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 - 3 dill pickles, chopped
- 3 - 4 large eggs, hard-boiled and sliced
- salt and pepper
- Mix mayonnaise and enough brine to get a nice creamy dressing.
- Pour a little dressing in bottom of large bowl.
- Either slice or cube a layer of potatoes on top of dressing.
with a little salt and pepper, sprinkle some chopped dill pickles,
chopped onions, and some egg slices on top. Pour some dressing over all.
- Repeat with more potatoes, salt, pepper, pickles, onions, egg and dressing until all potatoes have been used.
- Gently toss all together.
- Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Either serve immediately or let stand to improve flavor. Keep refrigerated to store.
- Depending on the 'dryness' of the potatoes, you may need more dressing. Just mix extra as you need it
- Adding extra fresh or dried dill makes this salad even tastier. You can add this to the dressing or sprinkle on each layer
- Once you know about how much salt and pepper you like, add them to the dressing first, instead of sprinkling on each layer
- Add more or less eggs, or omit altogether
- Adding green onion or using red onion looks extra special
- Adding some chopped apple (leaving skin on for color), adds flavor and texture
- My sister always adds pineapple chunks to her salad - Yummy!
- If you're wanting a quicker and easier version of this, check out my easy German potato salad.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com