Margaret's Rhubarb Dump Cake – Rhabarber-Dump-Kuchen
This rhubarb dump cake is a favorite every time spring comes,
thanks to my friend, Margaret, who shared her recipe with me.
At times, our rhubarb patch is almost
decimated, with all the picking that goes on. And, this recipe is the culprit! And, another is rhubarb streusel cake.
Makes 12 servings
- 5 cup fresh rhubarb, cut in 1 to 2 inch pieces
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 box (3 ounces) strawberry flavored gelatin powder
- 1 box (18 ounces) yellow dry cake mix
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread chopped rhubarb into ungreased 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle sugar over rhubarb. Sprinkle flavored gelatin powder over.
- Sprinkle dry cake mix over all. DO NOT MIX.
- Drizzle melted butter over. Gently pour water over all. DO NOT MIX)
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, until top is nicely browned.
- Serve either hot, warm, or cold. Nice with ice cream or whipped cream.
- Use any red colored gelatin powder. Raspberry is especially nice.
- Try a white or lemon cake mix for a different flavor.
- If you use frozen rhubarb, reduce the water in half.
- Sprinkle with nuts - pecans are nice - before baking.
- If you like it a bit sweeter, add extra sugar next time.
- Instead of butter, use ¼ cup olive oil.
- Replace with gelatin with sugar-free gelatin and use Splenda instead of sugar to make a diet version.
- Extra rhubarb is perfect for some rhubarb pudding, a favorite in northern Germany.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com