Southern Recipe for German Potato Salad
This recipe for German potato salad is an easy way to learn how to make potato salad. This one's usually served warm, but it tastes great cold as well.
It follows the method shown for Easy Potato Salad, but has an interesting variation for the dressing, more in the style of the salads eaten in southern Germany
Makes 4 servings
- 1 - 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup vegetable broth (see Hints below)
- 1½ lb potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 4 - 5 pickles, cubed
- 1 bunch radishes, sliced (optional)
- salt, pepper
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp juice from pickles
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp sugar
- chives to garnish
- In large pot, cook onions in butter until translucent.
- Add broth and bring to boil.
- Add potato slices and simmer, covered, about 10 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- Mix egg yolks, sugar, pickle juice, and lemon juice.
- Remove pot from heat and stir egg yolk mixture into the potatoes.
- Add pickles and radishes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Use 1 cup of water and a bouillon cube instead of the vegetable broth
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com