How to Cook Sausage: Oma's Secret Method for German Grilled Bratwurst
If you need to know how to cook sausage, look no further. My easy method for cooking bratwurst produces perfect sausages every time that will have everyone in the whole family wanting seconds.
Makes 4 servings
- 4 raw bratwurst sausages (about 1 pound)
- olive oil
- Preheat your charcoal or gas grill to medium-high heat.
- Place the fresh sausage into a large pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil.
- Lower to a gentle simmer and let the sausage cook for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Drain sausages and brush them with a little oil.
- Clean the hot grill with a grill brush and lightly oil the grate.
- Grill the sausage, turning them several times until deliciously browned and crispy on all sides. Cover grill in between turning them. Cooking time will be about 5 to 10 minutes.
- These sausages can also be finished off on the stove: after simmering and draining the sausages, fry them gently in a bit of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Turn frequently until nicely browned on all sides.
- Use a meat thermometer to make sure the internal temperature reaches at least 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
- For more intense flavor, try simmering the sausages in broth, apple cider, apple juice, or even beer (for yummy beer brats!), but water is best if you prefer the natural flavor of these great sausages to shine through. You can also add some sliced onions to the liquid.
- If you want to know how to cook German sausage in the oven, this cooking method is an especially good idea when you've got a whole bunch to cook at once.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com
04.05.2022 revision update