Oma's Himmel und Erde: Apples and Potatoes
Himmel und Erde (Heaven and Earth) is a mixture of mashed potatoes (from earth) and apples (from heaven).
Often this is served with sausage or pork, but it goes well with almost anything, even by itself because the flavors blend together unusually well.
Makes 4 servings
- 1 pound starchy potatoes
- 1 pound cooking apples
- 2 tablespoons butter
- nutmeg, salt, pepper to season
- 1 - 2 onions, sliced
- Peel and cube potatoes into 1-inch cubes. Peel and thickly slice apples.
- Cook potatoes and apples in boiling salted water until tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Drain.
- Mash until smooth and creamy, adding butter. Season with salt, nutmeg, and pepper.
- Meanwhile, fry onion slices in about 2 tablespoons butter (or oil) until crispy.
- Serve onions on top of mashed mixture either as a main or side dish for sausages or other meats.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com