Oma's Ground Beef Casserole with Veggies
Looking for a ground beef casserole, aka Hackauflauf, that's just that extra bit special? Here's a yummy one that I make and that's why it's in my quick and easy dinner recipes collection.
Ground beef, cheese, and veggies. Yum!
Makes 4 servings
- 1 small cauliflower, into bite-size pieces
- ½ lb broccoli, into bite-size pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- salt, pepper
- 1 tsp each curry powder, dried thyme, paprika
- ¼ lb lean bacon, cubed
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup broth
- ¼ lb Emmentaler, grated (or more to taste!)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cook cauliflower and broccoli pieces in boiling salted water for about 5 minutes. Drain.
- In frying pan, brown chopped onion in butter. Add garlic. Add ground beef and continue browning, while stirring, until meat is nicely browned, crumbly, and cooked through.
- Season with curry, thyme, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Place meat mixture into greased casserole dish.
- Add cauliflower and broccoli over the meat.
- In frying pan, brown bacon in oil. Sprinkle flour over and stir. Add milk and broth and continue cooking and stirring until sauce is creamy.
- Add cheese to sauce and stir.
- Pour sauce over meat/veggie mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, for about 30 minutes, until top is nicely golden brown.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com