Easy German Pork Schnitzel Recipe: The Authentic Schweineschnitzel
Oma's easy German Schnitzel recipe is a family favorite. Serve this with mushroomy Jägersosse (Hunter's sauce) and you'll have the makings of a totally traditional German meal.
Schnitzel are thin cutlets and can be made from any type of meat, such as veal, pork, chicken, and turkey. Here, I use pork which is one of the easiest to buy and use. And, so delicious!
This makes 4 servings.
- 4 Schnitzel, about ¼-inch thick or less
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliter) lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon (3 grams) salt
- about ½ cup (65 grams) all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons (45 milliliter) water
- 1 large egg
- about 1 cup (224 grams) breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons (42 grams) butter
- 3 tablespoons (45 milliliters) peanut or vegetable oil
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 160°F (70°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Put several sheets of paper towels onto a large plate. Set these aside.
- Sprinkle the Schnitzel with lemon juice and salt.
- Place 3 shallow bowls onto the counter. In the first one, put flour. In the second one, mix the egg and water. In the third one, put the breadcrumbs.
- Dredge a Schnitzel, first into the flour, then into the egg mixture, and then into the breadcrumbs. Place the breaded Schnitzel onto a large plate and repeat with the remaining Schnitzel.
- Heat butter and oil over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Fry the Schnitzel in the hot oil and butter mixture until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Do not crowd the Schnitzel. Depending on the size, you may only be able to fry 1 or 2 at a time.
- Remove the cooked Schnitzel to the paper towel-lined plate to drain any fat and then place it on the baking sheet into the oven to keep warm.
- Fry the remaining Schnitzel.
- Serve immediately, garnished with lemon slices or lemon wedges.
- If you are serving this as Jagerschnitzel, you'll want to make the mushroom sauce first and then fry the Schnitzel.
- If you want to make this non-breaded, then just dredge in the flour and omit the egg/milk and breadcrumbs.
- My favorite side with this? Bratkartoffeln!
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com
09.09.2023 revision update