My Mutti's German Cucumber Salad Recipe
German cucumber salad recipe, aka Gurkensalad, is one of our favorite summer salad recipes. In fact, it's one that I just can't alter.
tried, BUT, nothing beats this original recipe that I grew up with. It
seems, that whenever I make it, I never make enough. I start out, always
adding an extra cucumber to make sure there's enough. (If you're wanting the non-cream version, it's here.)
Makes 4 servings
- 2 cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ tsp dill, preferably fresh (or more to taste)
- 1½ tsp lemon juice
- 1½ tsp granulated sugar
- salt and pepper
- Put thinly sliced cucumbers into serving bowl.
- In separate bowl, mix sour cream, dill, lemon juice, and sugar. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Just before serving, pour the dressing over cucumbers and mix.
- If you have time, you can pre-slice the cucumbers and sprinkle
them with a little salt and let them stand. Pour off the accumulated
cucumber "water" BEFORE adding the dressing by draining in a sieve.
- Use vinegar instead of lemon juice.
- Use low fat sour cream, plain yogurt or Greek yogurt instead of the regular sour cream.
- For the southern German version, the one without the cream, check out my version of this German cucumber salad.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com