Oma's Apfelpfannkuchen ~ German Apple Pancake Recipe
My German Apple Pancake recipe, aka Apple Dutch Baby, is so quick and easy to make and tastes absolutely wunderbar! Made with simple ingredients, this is an easy breakfast casserole or brunch dish that the whole family will love.
It's also one of those special breakfasts that is perfect for Christmas morning, since the batter and the apples can be prepared a day ahead of time.
Makes 4 - 6 servings
- 6 large eggs
- 1½ cups (360 milliliter) milk or buttermilk
- 1 cup (130 grams) all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons (39 grams) granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon (3 grams) salt
- ½ cup (114 grams) butter
- 2 large apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons (15 grams) brown sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C).
- In a blender jar or food processor, add eggs, milk, flour, sugar, and salt. Blend until smooth. Or, if you prefer, just put into a large mixing bowl and use a whisk or hand mixer till smooth.
- Place butter in 10x13-inch baking dish (see video above for more ideas) and place dish in the hot oven to melt butter.
- Add apple slices to baking dish and leave in oven until the melted butter sizzles. This can take about 5 minutes. Do not let the apples brown.
- Remove baking dish from oven and pour batter on top of the apples. Sprinkle with brown sugar (if using). Return to the oven and bake 20 minutes or until golden brown and nicely puffed. Depending on the dish size (see video above), this can take an extra 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
- Best apples for this recipe? Whatever you happen to have handy in your crisper!
- Add 1 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract to pancake batter.
- Add ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon to batter, or top baked pancake with cinnamon sugar (mix ¼ cup sugar with 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon).
- Add some raisins to the apples.
- Try it with pears instead of apples.
- Wanting to make a really special German pancake? Try Kaiserschmarrn!
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com
05.13.2022 revision update