German Fried Potatoes Recipe – Oma's Bratkartoffeln
Mutti had several fried potato recipes that I grew up on. The wonderful aroma of fried onions and crispy potatoes wafting through the air when she made these was so mouth-watering. I hope you'll love these German-style pan-fried potatoes just as much as I do!
Makes 2 - 3 servings
- 1 pound potatoes (either precooked, leftover, or raw potatoes.)
- 2 tablespoons butter OR 8 slices bacon, diced
- ½ onion, diced
- salt, pepper
- In a large skillet, heat butter or oil, or saute bacon until golden brown. Remove crispy bacon pieces with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add potatoes.
- Fry over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes before turning to allow potato slices to brown. Turn, adding onions and continuing to gently turn as needed. Add more butter, if needed. (If using raw potatoes, cover slightly during cooking.)
- After potatoes are browned (and tender if using raw potatoes), add reserved bacon (if using), season with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve immediately.
- Just before serving, pour 4 slightly beaten raw eggs over potatoes, gently toss and allow to cook a few minutes until eggs are set. This is similar to Hoppel Poppel.
- Add fresh parsley, chives, and/or other fresh herbs.
- Add more or less onions, as desired. Chopped green onions - tops and bottoms - would be great.
- Add some leftover meat pieces to the potatoes while they are cooking.
- For vegan Bratkartofflen, omit bacon and use oil or vegan butter for frying.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com
05.07.2023 revision update