German Fried Potato Recipe ~ Oma's Bratkartoffeln
Mom had several fried potato recipes, aka Bratkartoffeln, all variations on the one listed below. Each slightly different. All delicious.
The aroma in the house was mouth-watering when she made these. For her, these were quick and easy lunch recipes. For me? I just plain loved pan fried potatoes!
5 - 10 minutes
15 - 20 minutes
Makes 2 - 3 servings
- 1 pound potatoes (either precooked, leftover, or raw potatoes.)
- 2 tablespoons butter OR 8 slices bacon, diced
- ½ onion, diced
- salt, pepper
- In a large skillet, heat butter or oil, or saute bacon until golden brown. Remove bacon pieces and set aside. Add potatoes.
- Fry for about 5 minutes before turning to allow potato slices to brown. Turn, adding onions and continuing to gently turn as needed. Add more butter, if needed. (If using raw potatoes, cover slightly during cooking.)
- After potatoes are browned (and tender if using raw potatoes), add reserved bacon (if using), season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Serve immediately.
- Just before serving, pour 4 slightly beaten raw eggs over potatoes, gently toss and allow to cook a few minutes until eggs are set. This is similar to Hoppel Poppel.
- Add fresh parsley and/or chives.
- Add more or less onions, as desired. Chopped green onions - tops and bottoms - would be great.
- Add some leftover meat pieces to the potatoes while they are cooking.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com