Oma's Easy Flaky Dessert (Soda Cracker Dessert)
My easy flaky dessert recipe is similar to the German
Blätterteig or a French Puff Pastry. But, it's so much simpler to make.
AND, it tastes so-o-o good! A few simple substitutions will turn this into a Black Forest Dessert.
This simple dessert is just layers of unsalted soda crackers (saltines), pudding, and Cool Whip. It sounds strange, but this quick, easy dessert recipe always brings rave reviews.
6 hours 15 minutes
Makes about 12 servings
- 1 package Soda Crackers/Saltines (unsalted tops)
- 1 package instant vanilla pudding mix (4-ounce box)
- 2 cups milk (to make pudding)
- I large tub Cool Whip (1 liter, or 12 ounces, or 4 cups)
- 1 can crushed pineapple, well-drained
- Line bottom of 9x13-inch baking dish with soda crackers.
- Prepare pudding mix according to package instructions. Gently pour ½ over crackers and spread.
- Gently spread ½ container of Cool Whip over pudding.
- Cover Cool Whip layer with another layer of soda crackers.
- Gently pour remaining pudding over crackers. Cover with remaining Cool Whip.
- Cover with crushed, drained pineapple.
- Cover with Saran Wrap and refrigerate at least 6 hours, preferably overnight.
- Use low-fat Cool Whip and pudding if desired.
- Use any mixture of berries or even pie filling.
- Make some simple substitutions and create a delicious Black Forest dessert. So good!
- If using frozen berries, thaw and drain before placing on top.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com
03.27.2021 revision update