German Chocolate Cream Torte - Schokosahne Torte
Chocolate Cream Torte, aka Schokosahne Torte, is one of those most traditional German cakes that everyone loves.
Thankfully, it's so easy to make! The chocolate cream is so easy to make, but you'll need to make this the day before making the cake.
90 min +24 hr
Makes 12 servings
- 3½ cups heavy (whipping) cream
- 3 bars bittersweet chocolate (total weight = 10 ounces)
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1½ cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 package vanilla sugar
- 1 cup minus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
Chocolate Cream: Start this the day before!
- Mix together the heavy cream and chocolate in a pot, over low heat, until chocolate is melted. Bring to boiling point. Cool and place in fridge for 24 hours.
- Whip with a mixer until stiff just before you need it to frost the cake.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch springform pan (use parchment paper in bottom)
- Whip egg whites until stiff and set aside.
- Beat egg yolks and sugars until creamy.
- Mix flour, cornstarch, cocoa, and baking powder together. Stir into egg yolk/sugar mixture along with the water. Gently fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before filling.
- Cut cake horizontally twice to get 3 layers.
- Fill with the cream and frost the outside.
- Decorate as shown or get creative!
- Keep the cake refrigerated until serving.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com