Oma's Artisan Bread Recipe
Unbelievable artisan bread recipe (A real Bauernbrot or Krustenbrot!) that's so simple that ANYONE can make it! What's really amazing is how this tastes like the fresh Brötchen we'd get at the bakery in Germany.
Wonderful crispy, thick crust. Chewy crumb that's so perfect for butter and jam. Wunderbar! For another easy no-knead bread, take a look at my sourdough version.
55 minutes + 18 hours rise time
Makes 1 loaf
- 3 cups (390 grams) all-purpose flour or bread flour
- 1½ teaspoons (5 grams) active dry yeast
- 1½ cups (360 milliliters) warm water
- 1 teaspoon (6 grams) salt
- extra flour for dusting
- Mix the first four ingredients together in a large bowl with a
wooden spoon or use your hands. The dough will be sticky and look a
- Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Let the bowl sit
on the counter (at room temperature) for at least 12 hours and up to 18
hours. The dough will rise and the top will be bubbly and sticky.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit inside of dutch oven. Place paper on counter and sprinkle lightly with flour.
sprinkle flour on counter. Gently put the dough on it. Sprinkle a bit
of flour on top and fold the dough over on itself twice, shaping it into
an elongated ball.
- Gently place onto parchment paper. Cover with a large bowl that doesn't touch the dough.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C) and put your Dutch oven into the oven to heat for about 30 minutes.
- Slash the top of the dough with a sharp knife or lame blade.
preheated dutch oven and, using oven mitts, gently lift parchment paper
with dough into it and cover with lid. Be careful ... use oven mitts!
Return to oven.
- Bake at 450°F for 30 minutes. Remove lid and continue baking for another 15 minutes or until bread is golden brown.
- Remove to a rack and let cool for about 1 hour before slicing.
- Try half whole
wheat flour. Sprinkle with sesame seeds just before baking. Add some
grated cheese. Add some herbs. Sprinkle with cornmeal.
- Using all-purpose white flour will give a slightly more chewy crust and sour-dough flavor than using white bread flour.
- Wanting another easy bread? Try my no-knead sourdough bread!
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com