Air Fryer Cream Puffs ~ Luftfritteuse Windbeutel
Making air fryer cream puffs, luftfritteuse Windbeutel, is a delightfully easy endeavor in the Instant Pot Vortex Plus Air Fryer Oven. This easy cream puff recipe will become your go-to company dessert!
Makes 18 - 20
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup butter
- pinch salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy (whipping) cream
- 2 packages Dr. Oetker Whip It or 2 tablespoon instant vanilla pudding powder to stabilize whipped cream
- Preheat Instant Pot Vortex Plus Air Fryer Oven to 400°F on air fryer mode.
- Prepare two air fryer trays by lining each with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium-sized pot, bring water, butter, and salt to boil until butter is melted.
- Remove from heat and add flour, stirring until smooth and mixture comes away from the sides of the pan. Reduce heat and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a mixing bowl to let it cool slightly, (just a few minutes). Using either a wooden spoon or a mixer, beat in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each one.
- Drop by tablespoons onto parchment-lined baking trays, leaving about 1-inch space between puffs.
- Slide one tray on the bottom rack and one tray on the middle rack of the fryer.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then switch trays, alternating the bottom rack to the middle and the middle to the bottom. Bake 10 more minutes.
- Immediately upon removing from oven, cut a small slit in side of puff to release steam.
- Prepare the filling by whipping the cream together with Whip It and vanilla until thick.
- Once cooled, split puffs in half with a sharp knife and remove any 'doughy' parts from inside the puff.
- Using a small spoon, scoop your whipped cream filling inside the puffs. Add your top half back on and enjoy!
- Do NOT open oven door during first half of baking or puffs will collapse.
- Eating the doughy parts from the insides of the puffs is my favorite part. I find it tastes just like Oma's German apple pancake.
- By alternating the trays halfway through bake time, the puffs will all evenly bake. The air fryer's main heat source is at the top of the fryer. Therefore the tray closest to the top (the middle tray) will bake more quickly than the bottom.
- After adding the eggs to your flour mixture, you'll notice that it has a sticky texture when you try to scoop it. That's normal! It may be tricky to get the sticky dough off the spoon to drop onto trays. Try rubbing your hands with flour first, then using your hands to help it off the spoon. Or you can use your hands instead.
- Instead of using Dr. Oetker's Whip It, you can use 2 tablespoons instant vanilla pudding powder.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com
11.07.2021 revision update