German Vegetarian Barley Soup – Oma'a vegetarische Gerstensuppe
Looking for a vegetarian barley soup recipe, aka vegetarische Gerstensuppe, that's quick work in the kitchen This slow cooker soup recipe can be thrown together in the morning. Come home at night to dinner ready to go.
It's also a vegan soup that has it all. Flavor! Deliciousness! Ease of prep!
Slow Cook Time
8 - 10 hours
8 - 10 hours
Makes 10 servings
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans
- 2 cups chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped green pepper
- 9½ cups water
- vegan bouillon cubes (Check package. Use enough for 4 cups liquid)
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon celery seeds
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 can (14.5-ounce) diced tomatoes, undrained
- Combine everything, except the tomatoes in the slow cooker (crockpot) and stir.
- Cover and cook on low for about 8 to 10 hours until the barley and the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in tomatoes, cover, and cook on high for about 10 minutes or until they are heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper if needed. Remove bay leaf.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com