Oma's Vanilla Sugar Recipe
This Vanilla Sugar recipe, aka Vanillezucker, is an inexpensive way to make your own flavored sugar for use in baking.
If you live in Germany, it's easy to buy vanilla sugar in the grocery stores. But, if you live elsewhere in the world, what do you do? You make your own!
Makes 2 cups
- about 2 cups of granulated white sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- Put sugar into seal-able glass/ceramic jar.
- Cut vanilla bean in half (not lengthwise or the seeds will come out)
- Place bean sections in sugar.
- Close jar and place in cool, dark place.
- Let sit at least 2 weeks before using.
- You can keep refilling the jar with sugar because the beans stay potent for quite some time.
- If you wish, you can cut the beans lengthwise ... and you'll get more aroma into the sugar. You may also get the seeds in there, but if you don't mind that, it works great.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com