Sylvie's French-Canadian Tourtiere Recipe
This delicious tourtiere recipe (meat pie) has been handed down for generations.
French Canadian in origin, it's a great addition to our international buffet table. My daughter-in-love, Sylvie, brought this with her to our Christmas Eve get-togethers.
Makes 2 meat pies
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon savory
- ½ teaspoon celery seed
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- pie crust for 2 pies
- Cook everything, except the pie crusts, together in a pot.
- Adjust seasonings.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line 2 pie pans with crust. Pour meat filling into pans. Top with pie crust, crimp edges, and cut slit in top.
- Bake, about 30 to 40 minutes until crust is cooked.
- Serve hot.
- If making in advance, bake, cool, and freeze.
- To serve, thaw, and reheat in oven at 350°F. until heated through, about 20 minutes.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com