Tomato and Mushroom Gratin – Oma's Tomaten-Champignon-Gratin
This vegetarian Tomato and Mushroom Gratin, aka Tomaten-Champignon-Gratin, is easy to prepare. Served with a salad, it makes a great lunch or supper meal anytime of year.
It's also a great way to use up some day-old bread.
Makes 4 servings
- about 4 - 8 slices bread (preferably whole wheat)
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 4 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 - 3 ounces Gouda, shredded
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease casserole dish (about 9x12-inch). Line bottom of dish with bread slices.
- Cover bread with mushroom and tomato slices.
- Mix eggs and milk in a bowl. Add garlic. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Pour over mushroom and tomato slices.
- Cover with shredded Gouda.
- Bake, uncovered for about 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com