German Strawberry Cream Torte – Oma's Erdbeercremetorte
This impressive looking Strawberry Cream Torte, aka Erdbeercremetorte, is one of those recipes that looks long and complicated. However, if you've made it once, you'll realize that it's really quite easy and rather quick to make. You just need to be organized and give yourself enough time to allow for the final chilling.
90 minutes + wait time
Makes 12 servings
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 cups cake flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons strawberry jam, heated
- 1½ pounds fresh strawberries
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon sweet red wine (optional)
- 2 cups Greek yogurt
- ½ cup water, divided
- 3 7g-envelopes Dr. Oetker gelatin
- 2 cups heavy (whipping) cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 10-inch springform pan.
- Beat eggs, sugar, and hot water together for about 10 to 15 minutes until frothy.
- Combine the flour and baking powder.
- Sift flour mixture over egg mixture and fold gently to mix.
- Gently pour dough into springform pan.
- Bake for about 18 to 23 minutes, or until wooden toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack.
Filling & Assembly Instructions:
- Place the cake onto the serving platter. Brush with the heated strawberry jam. Grease the cake ring with butter and place the ring around the cake.
- Slice enough strawberries and place around the edge of the cake ring (see photo). Set aside a nice strawberry for garnishing.
- Purée the remaining strawberries together with the sugar and wine (if using). You should have about 2 cups of pureed strawberries. Stir in the Greek yogurt.
- Whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Bring ¼ cup of water to boil. Stir gelatin into ¼ cup of cold water in a small bowl. Stir in boiling water. Whisk in about ½ cup of the strawberry/yogurt mixture.
- Using a whisk or mixer, immediately pour this gelatin mixture into the remaining strawberry/yogurt mixture, until fully incorporated.
- Fold whipped cream into yogurt/gelatin mixture. Spoon this filling onto cake and smooth the top.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving.
- Remove the ring and smooth the cream sides if needed.
- Slice the reserved strawberry in thin slices almost to its top (with the leaves). Fan out the slices and place on top of your cake.
- The cake keeps several days in the fridge.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com
04.09.2022 revision update