Oma's Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
This slow cooker split pea soup is so quick to put together in the morning before you leave for the day. When you come home, and you're hungry, dinner's ready!
This tastes best if it's cooked with a ham bone. If you don't have that, smoked sausage or kielbasa work well too.
Slow Cook Time
8 - 10 hours
depends on slow cook time
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups (1 pound) split yellow or green peas, washed
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 4 cups potatoes, chopped
- meaty ham bone, smoked sausage, or kielbasa (optional)
- 8 cups water
- ⅛ teaspoon each dried savory and dried marjoram
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- optional: 1 bay leaf and ⅛ teaspoon cloves
- Put everything in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours,
- If you want the soup thicker, once it is cooked, turn cooker to high, remove lid and simmer till desired consistency is reached. Stir occasionally so that it doesn't stick to the bottom.
- Season with extra salt and pepper if needed.
- Remove ham bone and bay leaf before serving. If there is any meat on the bone, remove it, dice it, and add it back to the soup. If you used sausage or kielbasa, remove and cut into pieces, and return to the soup.
- To make the soup extra special, only put about ½ cup chopped onions into the soup. The rest of the chopped onions are browned in butter and added to the soup just before serving.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com