Vanillekipferln ~ Shortbread Cookie Recipe
This Shortbread Cookie recipe, the German Vanillekipferln, is one of the best Christmas cookie recipes that's an easy version of the original.
This is a translation of the recipe sent in by Gerhild Froeschke who loves to take recipes and change them to make them her own.
- 1¼ cups butter
- ⅝ cup granulated sugar
- 3½ cups flour, all-purpose
- ¼ pound ground hazelnuts
- 1 package or 1½ teaspoons vanilla sugar
- powdered sugar to dust cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In mixing bowl, mix together the butter, sugar, vanilla sugar, and ground hazelnuts.
- Add flour, and continue mixing with mixer or with your hands.
- Shape the dough into a roll. Cut slices from the roll and form them into crescents.
- Bake about 10 minutes, being careful that they don't get too brown.
- Place cookies on a wire rack and dust with powdered sugar while they are still warm. To dust them, put about a teaspoon of powdered sugar in a small sieve and tap sieve to let icing sugar "dust" the cookies.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com