Mutti's Recipe for Lamb Stew with Green Beans
This recipe for Lamb Stew, aka Hammelfleisch Eintopf, is such an easy dinner recipe idea. It's a traditional German "Eintopf" (one-pot) meal, taken from my Mutti's hand-written cookbook and translated into English.
Use a lean cut, such as the shoulder or leg of lamb, or buy stewing lamb already cut up to make this go faster.
Makes 4 servings
- 1 to 1½ pounds lean lamb
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1½ pounds green beans, trimmed and cut in halves
- approx. 3 cups water or beef broth
- salt, pepper, summer savory
- 1 to 1½ pounds potatoes, sliced or diced
- Cut lamb into cubes, approx. 1 to 1½ inches.
- Place the lamb, green beans, and onions in a pot and just barely cover with water or broth. Season with salt, pepper, and summer savory.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer about 45 minutes.
- Add potatoes and continue simmering about 30 minutes.
- Stir and re-season if necessary.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com