Gerhild's Raisin Squares made Just like Oma
With its spicy aroma, these Rosinenschnitten great at Christmas as well. Covered with a lemon butter icing, I alter it using almond flavoring instead - a mock marzipan flavor - hence, a German twist
Makes 16 squares
- 1 cup raisins
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 cup flour, all purpose
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1½ tablespoons lemon juice or 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 8x8-inch pan.
- Put first 8 ingredients into large pot. Bring to boil, lower heat, and simmer gently for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Mix baking soda and 2 teaspoons of water in a small bowl. Stir into raisin mixture.
- Let raisin mixture cool. I've placed the pot into cold water to speed this up.
- Mix together flour and baking powder. Stir into raisin mixture. Mix well.
- Spread batter in prepared pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until set.
- Let cool in pan on wire rack.
- In mixing bowl, beat powdered sugar, butter, and lemon juice (or almond extract) until smooth, adding more juice (or water) until spreading consistency.
- Spread over cooled raisin squares.
- If you want thinner and more squares (as shown in the picture), then use a 9x9-inch pan. This only takes about 15 to 20 minutes to bake. Cuts into 25 squares.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com