Nana's Potato Soup Dumplings/Noodles
Nana's Potato Soup with Dumplings, aka Kartoffelsuppe mit Klösschen, was sent in by one of our readers, Nana from Witchita, KS, USA.
- Boil several potatoes cut in pieces in salted water in a pot till tender.
- add about 1 cup milk to the water and potatoes.
- add about 1 teaspoon butter or margarine (keeps the milk from scumming up.)
- In a cup or small bowl put in about 1 cup flour, make a well in the center of flour add egg (not beaten)
- Go to sink and add slowly about 1 tablespoon of tap water to egg portion, while stirring with a fork & "gathering" only bits of the flour to make doughy while stirring; then, add another 1 tablespoon of water from faucet middle & stir again to mix to doughy state; then, keep adding 1 tbsp water at a time till all the flour is incorporated into the mixture.
- The dough mixture should be a sticky & slightly runny so it dribbles off fork side. Note: do add water very, very slowly to finally incorporate all flour takes a few minutes. If adding the water to fast you will have a gob and it does not come out right.
- Now add the dumpling/noodle mixture to the very slightly boiling potato & milk soup. Keep adding noodle dough till gone, stir only once to make sure noodles are not sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Cooking at a simmer for about 3 to 5 minutes depending on amounts of water/milk and ingredients used.
of other ingredients are chopped carrots, onions, celery to potatoes that you cook together. Add more if want salt & pepper to taste, or before eating you also can add celery salt which is great also if you enjoy it; but, go sparingly with it
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com