German Potato Soup with Dumplings: Nana's Kartoffelsuppe mit Klößchen
Nana's Potato Soup with Dumplings, aka Kartoffelsuppe mit Klösschen, was sent in by one of our readers, Nana from Witchita, KS, USA.
- Boil several potatoes cut in cubes in just enough salted water to cover them in a pot until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of milk to the water and potatoes.
- Add 1 teaspoon butter.
- Cover and keep warm.
- In a cup or small bowl, put in about 1 cup flour. Make a well in the center of the flour and add an egg (not beaten)
- Slowly add about 1 tablespoon of water to egg, while stirring with a fork & "gathering" only bits of the flour to make a dough while stirring. Then, add another 1 tablespoon of water & stir again, incorporating more of the flour to mix to a doughy state. Then, keep adding 1 tbsp water at a time until all the flour is incorporated into the mixture. Note: Add water very, very slowly to finally incorporate all the flour. It takes a few minutes. If adding the water too fast, you will have a gob, and it does not come out right.
- The dough mixture should be sticky & slightly runny, so it dribbles off the fork.
- Now add the dumpling mixture by small spoonfuls to the very slightly boiling potato & milk soup. Keep adding noodle dough until gone, stir only once to make sure the dumplings are not sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Cook at a simmer for about 3 to 5 minutes, until the dumplings are cooked through.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper if needed.
Other ingredients are chopped carrots, onions, celery to potatoes that you cook together. Add more if want salt & pepper to taste, or before eating you also can add celery salt which is great also if you enjoy it; but, go sparingly with it
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com
06.11.2023 revision update