Best Potato Kugel Recipe – Oma's Baked Potato Pancake (Dibbelabbes)
This potato pancakes recipe is my variation of the potato kugel similar to that traditional Dibbelabbes dish from Saarland.
It's baked in the oven, like a potato gratin or casserole, and gets a wonderful crispy dark crust on top and bottom and the insides are lovely tender, almost creamy!
Makes 4 - 6 servings
- 1 small onion
- 3 pounds potatoes, peeled
- ⅓ cup corn starch
- 2 teaspoons salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Have a 10×12-inch or 9×13-inch casserole dish ready to use.
- Finely chop onion and set aside.
- Grate potatoes, using coarse side of grater (or use food processor).
- Thoroughly mix together grated potatoes, onions, and cornstarch in a large bowl.
- Add salt, pepper, and eggs. Mix well. (It's easiest to use your hands.)
- Put ¼ cup butter into the casserole dish and place in the oven until the butter melts and sizzles (but doesn't brown).
- Remove the casserole dish from the oven and carefully add potato mixture (be careful the butter doesn't splatter on you), and level it out. Dot the remaining tablespoon of butter on top.
- Return to oven and bake for 1 hour or until nicely browned on top and tender in the middle. If the top browns too quickly, loosely cover with foil, but remove it for the last 5 minutes.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com