Oma's Poached Trout Recipe: Forelle Blau
This easy poached trout recipe, a traditional meal in the Black Forest area, is called Forelle Blau. Usually rainbow trout is used for this dish with the fish ending up looking blue, hence the term "Blau" (meaning blue!)
Makes 4 servings
- 2 cups white wine
- ½ cup wine vinegar
- 8 cups water
- 2 carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 leek
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove
- ½ teaspoon peppercorns
- 4 trout
- In a large pot, bring to boil all the ingredients except the trout.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Attach kitchen twine to lower jaw of fish and its tail. Pull to curve fish and tie twine ends together.
- Put trout in a large pan and pour strained boiling wine/vinegar over trout. This turns the skin of the trout the characteristic blue.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes until cooked.
- Remove trout from pan, remove twine, and serve.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com