Oma's Peameal Bacon Recipe tastes like Kasseler!
This peameal bacon recipe, that tastes like Kasseler, is cooked in your slow cooker together with sauerkraut for a real German meal. SO DELICIOUS and so easy.
Slow Cook Time
Makes 6 - 8 servings
- 3½ to 4 pounds Canadian peameal bacon roast
- 2 cans (28-ounce each) sauerkraut, drained
- 1 - 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- If the roast is covered with cornmeal, then wash that off. Empty one can of sauerkraut into slow cooker. Place meat on top.
- Cover with second can of sauerkraut.
- Cover and cook on low about 8 hours.
- Carefully remove meat and scoop out sauerkraut. Keep both warm.
- Pour slow cooker juices into saucepan and bring to simmer.
- Mix corn starch in a little cold water. Slowly add just enough corn starch slurry to the simmering slow cooker juices until sauce is thickened.
- Pour sauce over sauerkraut and mix.
- Serve slices of meat and sauerkraut with boiled or mashed potatoes.
- Another name for Canadian Peameal Bacon is Cured Boneless Pork Loin. If it is rolled in cornmeal, leave it on or wash it off - both ways taste good.
- Cut up some peeled apples and put them under meat in the slow cooker for extra flavor.
- Adding some browned onion slices to the slow cooker is also a nice addition.
- Adjust quantities to slow cooker size and number of servings needed. Leftovers can be reheated in microwave.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com
08.09.2021 revision update