Oma's No-Bake Lemon Cheesecake Recipe
My lemon cheesecake recipe is so good and so easy. German? Not at all. But, it fits great after a big meal when one wants something sweet, yet light. It's preparation is easy and quick.
No baking required. It does need to stand for a 4 to 5 hours in the fridge before serving though.
20 minutes + wait time
Makes 10 servings
- 3-ounce package of lemon jello (gelatin)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cups graham crumbs or chocolate cookie crumbs
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- 8-ounce package cream cheese (room temperature)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 lemon
- 12-ounce tub Cool Whip (1 liter or 4 cups)
- strawberries to garnish
- Into a small bowl, mix the jello powder and the boiling water. Stir until jello is dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- Mix together the crumbs and the butter. Reserve about ¼ cup and press the remaining mixture into a 10-inch springform pan.
- Using a mixer, whip the cream cheese and the sugar. Zest the lemon and add about 1 tablespoon zest to the cheese mixture. Add about 2 teaspoons of lemon juice to the mixture as well.
- Check that the jello mixture has cooled to about lukewarm. If it is still hot, place the bowl into a cold water bath and stir until the jello has cooled, but NOT set.
- Add the cooled jello to the cream cheese. Mix thoroughly.
- Fold in the Cool Whip and gently stir until all is mixed well.
- Spoon over the crust and level top. Cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge for several hours.
- Serve, sprinkled with the reserved crumb mixture and garnished with sliced strawberries.
- Want to use heavy (whipping) cream instead of Cool Whip? You'll need to use 2 cups of heavy (whipping) cream, whip it until it has soft peaks and has doubled in volume. Fold that into the cooled jello instead.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com