German Lebkuchen Recipe ~ Oma's Easy Christmas Gingerbread Bars
This Lebkuchen recipe is such an easy German Christmas recipe to make. It's made in one bowl, baked, decorated, and then cut. But the results ... the house smells like I'm back in Germany.
Makes 32 bars
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) oil
- ½ cup (100 grams) brown sugar, packed
- ⅓ cup (113 grams) honey
- ⅓ cup (113 grams) molasses
- 2 cups (260 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon (11 grams) Lebkuchen spice (see hints below)
- ½ teaspoon (3 grams) baking soda
- ½ cup (55 grams) chopped almonds
- ½ cup (120 grams) mixed candied fruits and peels, finely chopped
- 1 egg white
- 1½ cups (188 grams) powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) lemon juice
- diced mixed candied fruits and peels and/or nuts for decorating
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 15x10x1-inch rimmed cookie sheet.
- Have icing and items for decorating ready to use as soon as the cake is baked.
- In large mixing bowl, beat egg and oil. Add brown sugar and beat well. Add honey and molasses. Mix well.
- Mix together dry ingredients: flour, Lebkuchen spice, and baking soda. Add flour mixture to egg mixture and beat till well mixed.
- Stir in almonds and candied fruit and peel. Dough will be very thick.
- Spread in prepared pan. Use back of spoon to spread, dipping spoon in water so that dough doesn't stick to spoon.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until done.
- With a sharp knife, score into bars immediately upon removing from oven by just cutting through the top crust.
- With mixer, in small bowl, beat egg white, powdered sugar, and lemon juice until smooth.
- Spread icing sugar glaze over warm bars using a pastry brush. Decorate with candied fruit. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Cut through completely at the score marks to cut into individual bars.
Lebkuchen Spice Mixture for 1 package:
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- ¼ teaspoon each mace, coriander, cardamon, and ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
Store the bars in an airtight container at room temperature. Place a piece of waxed paper on top of the bars in the container and add a slice or two of apple on top of that. The apple will help keep the bars nice and soft.
Let bars age for 1 to 2 weeks for best flavor.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com