German Kohlrabi Casserole with Ham – Oma's Kohlrabi mit Schinken
This kohlrabi recipe, aka Kohlrabi mit Schinken, is a great way to use up leftover ham and create a delicious, traditional German meal.
For the meat in this recipe, use leftover ham or cooked sausage (kielbasa would be nice) - just dice it in the same size you dice the kohlrabi.
Makes 4 servings
- 4 - 5 kohlrabi (about 3 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (or butter)
- ½ pound cooked ham
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- nutmeg, salt, pepper to season
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease baking dish.
- Peel and dice kohlrabi (approx. ¾-inch dice). Make sure you cut away any tough parts near the root end.
- Heat olive oil in frying pan. Add kohlrabi and cook over medium heat about 8 to 10 minutes until almost tender and lightly browned.
- Dice ham in same size as kohlrabi.
- Put half of kohlrabi in bottom of baking dish. Cover with ham. Put remaining kohlrabi over top.
- Mix together egg yolks, cream, flour, and seasonings and pour over kohlrabi.
- Bake, uncovered, until golden brown on top, about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle fresh chopped parsley over kohlrabi in frying pan.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com