4. Kale Casserole (stove-top)
This soup is creamy, rich, and luscious with a subtle cheesy flavor. It tastes so good and feels so satisfying. And it is packed with nutritional goodness, thanks not only to the cauliflower, but also thanks to the onion, garlic, celery, yellow pepper, and cashews!
Makes 4 servings
- 2 lbs fresh kale
- ¼ cup lard or butter
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 - 3 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 quart chicken broth
salt, pepper, allspice
1 lb smoked sausage
- Prepare fresh kale by washing well. Trim stalks and ribs from leaves. Immerse leaves briefly in boiling water. Drain and then chop. Set aside.
- Heat lard or butter in large pan. Add bacon and sauté lightly.
Add onions and sauté until transparent.
Add prepared kale, diced potatoes, and broth. Season with salt, pepper, and pinch of ground allspice.
- Cover and simmer 45 minutes without stirring.
- Put sausage on top of other ingredients. Cover and simmer another 20 minutes.
- The casserole may be stirred slightly if desired before serving.
- Serve with mustard.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com