Oma's Hazelnut Cookies
These hazelnut cookies, aka Haselnussmakronen, bring back such wonderful memories of my Mutti's Christmas cookie platter.
Also, they bring back memories of my sister and me sitting at the kitchen table, busy cracking hazelnuts!
Makes 4 dozen
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ pound ground hazelnuts
- about 50 whole hazelnuts to decorate
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Prepare 3 cookie sheets by lining them with parchment paper.
- Whip egg whites with lemon juice until stiff.
- Slowly add sugar, continuing to whip until the meringue is shiny and you can't feel sugar when you take a bit between your fingers.
- Fold in cinnamon and hazelnuts.
- Using a teaspoon, drop spoonfuls of the hazelnut meringue mixture onto the parchment paper lined sheets. Place a whole hazelnut on top of each cookie.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let cool completely before removing from parchment paper. They will stick if you try to do this when they are still warm.
- ½ pound of whole hazelnuts is about 1½ cups. Once they are ground, the quantity changes, depending on how coarsely or finely they are ground.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com