Oma's Hazelnut Cookies
These hazelnut cookies, aka Haselnussmakronen, bring back such wonderful memories of my Mutti's Christmas cookie platter.
Also, they bring back memories of my sister and I sitting at the kitchen table, busy cracking hazelnuts!
Makes 4 dozen
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ lb ground hazelnuts
- about 50 whole hazelnuts to decorate
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Prepare 3 cookie sheets by lining them with parchment paper.
- Whip egg whites with lemon juice until stiff.
- Slowly add sugar, continuing to whip until the meringue is shiny and you can't feel sugar when you take a bit between your fingers.
- Fold in cinnamon and hazelnuts.
- Using a teaspoon, drop spoonfuls of the hazelnut meringue mixture onto the parchment paper lined sheets. Place a whole hazelnut on top of each cookie.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes.
- Let cool completely before removing from parchment paper. They will stick if you try to do this when they are still warm.
- ½ lb of whole hazelnuts is about 1½ cups. Once they are ground, the quantity changes, depending on how coarsely or finely they are ground.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com