Homemade Three Cheese Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
My homemade Gouda mac and cheese is made with one of my all-time favorite cheeses, Gouda! I also included old sharp white cheddar, and Camembert. But you really can add whatever you want!
Makes 10 servings
- 1 900g package of elbow macaroni pasta
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup grated Gouda cheese
- 1/2 cup grated old white cheddar (sharp, or not)
- 1/4 cup grated Camembert cheese
- 1/2 cup cooked bacon bits
- 1 cup Doritos chips
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- Preheat oven to 350F. Then start by cooking elbow macaroni pasta by package directions in a large pot of salted water.
- Drain pasta and set aside in 13x9 casserole dish.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Slowly add in flour while whisking. Pour in milk, whisking until the sauce is a smooth mixture.
- Bring to medium heat, and with a wooden spoon, gradually stir in cheeses until melted.
- Pour evenly over the cooked macaroni noodles and stir to coat all pasta evenly.
- Sprinkle bacon bits over top and stir to incorporate throughout.
- Crush 1 cup Doritos in a Ziploc baggy. These will resemble bread crumbs, but with a cheesy kick.
- Sprinkle Doritos breadcrumbs over the whole top of the pasta to create a top crust. Sprinkle top with paprika.
- Bake for 30 minutes, and enjoy!
- I used cooked store bought bacon bits. If you prefer them fresh, simply fry bacon and cut into small bite-sized pieces, throw them in, and voilà!
- Using elbow macaroni is of course traditional, but I too love good spiral pasta. Use whatever kind you'd like! The taste will still be remarkable.
- I used a 10-inch casserole dish and a smaller casserole dish as well because of how much mac and cheese the package made. I needed two dishes! It makes for a big batch. That just means it lasted us all week! Yum. However, I do suggest a 13x9 dish, or bigger if possible.
- Fry Dorito crumbs in butter before sprinkling over the pasta to add a nice crunch to your topping.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com