Sylvie's Vegan German Mustard Sauce Recipe
This vegan version of Oma's German mustard sauce is made with simple ingredients that will make everyone's taste buds jump for joy! This sauce has so many uses that you'll make a double batch just to have leftovers!
Makes 3 - 4 servings
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until completely smooth
- Pour the blended sauce into a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring often so that the sauce does not stick to the bottom of the pot and burn.
- Once it starts to simmer, keep stirring until it reaches desired thickness.
- Remove from heat and serve.
- If you do not have a high-powered blender, be sure to soak the cashews in water ahead of time for 5 to 8 hours. Alternatively, you can boil them in a pot for 10 to 15 minutes. Simply drain and rinse the softened cashews and add them to the recipe.
- Use any mustard you like: Dijon mustard, stone ground mustard, regular yellow mustard, spicy brown mustard, etc.
- If you are using a grainy mustard and you want to keep the grainy texture, add it to the blended ingredients in the saucepan instead of adding it to the blender.
- Consider adding a favorite herb or spice, such as dill, nutmeg, garlic powder, or even some cayenne pepper for a little heat.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com