Sylvie's Vegan German Mustard Sauce Recipe
This vegan version of Oma's German mustard sauce will make everyone's taste buds jump for joy! Loving a whole-food plant-based diet, this sauce has so many uses, that you'll make a double batch, just to have leftovers!
Makes 3 - 4 servings
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons favorite mustard
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until completely smooth
- Pour the blended sauce into a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring often so that the sauce does not stick to the bottom of the pot and burn.
- Once it starts to simmer, keep stirring until it gets to desired thickness.
- Remove from heat and serve.
- If you do not have a high-powered blender, be sure to soak the cashews in water ahead of time for 5 to 8 hours. Alternately, you can boil them in a pot for 10 to 15 minutes. Simply drain and rinse the softened cashews and add them to the recipe.
- If you are using a grainy mustard and you want to keep the grainy texture, add it to the blended ingredients in the saucepan instead of adding it to the blender.
- Consider adding a favorite herb or spice, such as dill or nutmeg.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com