German Coffee Cake Recipe ~ Oma's Zimt-Kaffeekuchen
My German coffee cake recipe, aka Kaffeekuchen, is a delicious way to learn how to make coffee cake. With nuts and cinnamon, it's fun to make with the kids. They just love to lick the bowl!
Because of its ease and deliciousness, this is one of those easy dessert ideas that you'll return to time and time again.
- ⅓ cup butter, room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ cups flour, all-purpose
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans, or almonds)
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ cup powdered sugar (optional)
- 3 - 4 tablespoons milk (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Greased a 9-inch square baking pan. In mixing bowl, beat butter, sugar, and extract until creamy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Blend flour and baking powder together.
- Stir flour mixture alternately with the milk into the sugar mixture.
- Spread half of batter in greased pan.
- Combine nuts, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Sprinkle half over batter in pan.
- Carefully top with remaining batter and sprinkle with remaining nut mixture.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack.
- If desired, blend powdered sugar and milk to make glaze. Drizzle over cooled coffee cake.
- Dip a spoon into water and use that to smooth the dough as you are layering it in the pan and then over the nut layer.
- For a delicious variation on this Coffee Cake recipe add ½ cup raisins to the nut mixture.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com
08.20.2021 revision update