German Butter Cake using a Bread Machine – Oma's Butterkuchen Rezept
This German Butter Cake, aka Butterkuchen or Zuckerkuchen, is often served for afternoon Kaffeeklatsch.
Use your bread machine to make quick work of making the dough. Then, finish off by hand and soon you'll be ready to enjoy.
10 minutes plus machine + rise time
about 2.5 - 3 hours
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅞ cup lukewarm milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon soft butter
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- ½ cup chopped nuts (almonds, walnuts, etc.) (optional)
- ⅓ cup sugar
- Put all the Yeast Dough ingredients into the Bread Machine pan.
- Use the "dough" setting and start (usually takes about 1½ hours).
- Grease a 10-inch springform pan if you wish a thicker cake. If you prefer thinner, then you can use a 17x11-inch cookie sheet.
- Once dough cycle is finished, pat dough into pan.
- For the topping, cut the butter into little knobs, placing them over the surface of the dough, slightly pushing them into the dough.
- Sprinkle with nuts (if using).
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Cover and let stand in a warm place for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bake cake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden.
- Let cool 10 minutes in pan on wire rack.
- Serve warm if possible.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com