Oma's German Blitz Torte Recipe – Lightning Cake
Even though German Blitz Torte recipe looks long and complicated, it isn't. It can be whipped together quickly with ingredients you probably already have on hand and the results are yummy!
including two recipes for different fillings: My whipped cream filling and my Mutti's custard filling. Choose one! Then, make this quick cake as well to include on your dessert table.
75 minutes + cooling time
Makes 8 servings
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- ⅓ tsp (1.5 grams) baking powder
- ½ cup (50 grams) sliced or slivered almonds
- ½ cup (114 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- ¼ cup (60 ml) milk
- 1 cup (130 grams) all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon (1.5 grams) salt
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) almond extract
Whipped Cream Filling
or Custard Filling
- 2 cups (480 ml) heavy (whipping cream)
- 2 pouches of Dr. Oetker's Sahnesteif (Whip It)
- 2 tablespoons (26 grams) granulated sugar or to taste
- 1½ - 2 cups fresh raspberries, sliced strawberries, blueberries, or blackberries (optional)
- 1 cup (240 milliliters) milk
- 2 tablespoons (26 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon (8 grams) corn starch
- 1 tablespoon (14 grams) butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Grease and flour 2 9-inch layer pans with removable bottoms. Set aside.
- In a bowl, beat egg whites until frothy with soft peaks. Gradually beat in sugar and baking powder until glossy and stiff peaks form. Place in fridge until ready to use.
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg yolks.
- In another bowl, mix together flour, salt, and baking powder. Add to butter mixture along with the milk and almond extract. Mix well.
- Spread batter into pans. It will be a thin layer of batter. Use a wet spoon to help spread it out.
- Spread the meringue over batter in each pan. Sprinkle the meringue with almonds.
- Bake the cakes until the meringue is set, about 35 to 40 minutes. Cool in pans on a wire rack. Remove cakes from pans and cool fully.
- Make filling (see below).
- Place one cake on a serving plate with the meringue side up. If you have a cake ring, place it around the cake.
- Spread filling on layer on top of the meringue. Add a layer of berries, if using.
- Place the other cake on top with its meringue side up. Carefully remove cake ring, if using.
- Decorate with whipped cream, if desired. Keep refrigerated. Use a serrated bread knife or an electric knife to cut the cake.
1. Whipped Cream Filling
- Whip the cream with Whip It according to package instructions, adding sugar once peaks start forming.
2. Custard Filling Filling
- Mix milk, sugar, and corn starch together. Bring to boil, stirring constantly.
from heat. Pour some of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk and mix.
Pour egg mixture back into rest of hot milk and return to heat and
bring just to boiling point.
- Remove from heat and add butter. Cool and add almond or vanilla extract.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com
07.25.2022 revision update