Fennel Recipes made Just like Oma
These fennel recipes, aka Fenchel, are both traditional German ones and non-traditional. Easy to make, delicious to eat, and so different!
Fennel is one of those German vegetables that finds itself being used both raw and cooked.
1. Roasted Fennel
- 3 - 4 fennel bulbs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Trim the top leaves off the bulb. These can be used to garnish the final dish.
- Cut the fennel in quarters (vertically) and remove the tough center core. Slice the fennel.
- Spread fennel over parchment paper and sprinkle with salt and olive oil.
- Roast about 15 minutes. Stir and continue roasting for about another 15 minutes or until done.
- Makes 4 servings
2. Fennel Gratin ~ Überbackener Fenchel
- 4 fennel bulbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grated Emmental cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Clean and trim the fennel bulbs.
- Cook fennel bulbs in salted water until they are just tender, about 15 minutes, depending on their size.
- Drain. Cut bulbs in half.
- Place fennel into a greased casserole dish and sprinkle with grated cheese. Sprinkle slivers of butter over the top.
- Bake until cheese is melted and top is golden.
- Traditionally served with tomato sauce or ketchup.
- Makes 4 servings.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com