Oma's Crustless Spinach Quiche
This crustless spinach quiche is PERFECT if you're needing something low-carb. If you don't think this is German, then read on.
Actually Quiche originated in the Franconian region of Germany (near the French border). It was called Küeche (Kuchen is German for "cake") and that became Quiche in French. Who knew?
Makes 6 - 8 servings
- 5 eggs
- 300 g (10 oz) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- ¼ cup 10% cream
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup crumbled cooked bacon (optional)
- freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat eggs with cream in a large bowl.
- Add well drained spinach, green onions, 1 cup cheddar cheese, feta cheese, and bacon (if using). Season with some freshly ground pepper.
- Pour into greased 9-inch casserole or deep pie plate. Smooth top and sprinkle with ½ cup cheddar cheese.
- Bake until centre is set when knife tip is inserted and top is golden brown, about 45 minutes.
- Let cool slightly before serving.
- Add ¼ cup chopped dill and/or parsley
- Add ¼ cup chopped ham
- I've used a 500 g package of frozen spinach and didn't change any of the other quantities. It worked fine as well. Very spinach-y and delicious.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com