Oma's Cooking Green Beans - Grüne Bohnen
Cooking green beans, German-style, makes a wonderful side dish for almost any meal. Cooking the grüne Bohnen till just tender with a creamy white sauce is so traditional and so lecker! (Or use this quick method using just cream.)
This one is reminiscent of the way my Mutti cooked many vegetables. And, being green beans, the best herb to season them with is Bohnenkraut (bean herb) ... a type of summer savory.
Makes 4 - 6 servings
- 1½ pounds frozen green beans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons flour, all-purpose
- about ½ cup vegetable broth or water
- ½ teaspoon summer savory
- salt, pepper
- chopped parsley (optional)
- Put the frozen green beans in a saucepan and add water to almost cover. Add salt. Bring to boil and simmer for about 8 minutes or until just tender.
- Pour the beans into a sieve to drain, reserving the cooking liquid.
- Into the saucepan, melt the butter and add the diced onion. Saute for several minutes until the onion is transparent, but not browned.
- Stir in the flour and cook for about 1 minute.
- Stir in about 1 cup of the cooking liquid and continue to cook, stirring, and adding more liquid if the sauce gets too thick. Simmer for about 5 minutes, adding more liquid if needed. If you run out of cooking liquid, use vegetable broth or water.
- Return the cooked beans to the sauce and add the savory. Season with salt and pepper. Add chopped parsley, if using.
- You can use this recipe for making peas and carrots. Use either canned or frozen, cook till tender and make the sauce the same way. Use parsley instead of savory.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com
07.20.2021 revision update